Thank you to our private Website Sponsor.
Rafal Dyrda and GeniePad
New this year with your membership. Watche for your invitation to join this new tool.
Property Tax Fairness
The Current PropertyTaxation System is Unfair to Condo Owners - DEMAND CHANGE!
DID YOU KNOW
- Condominium units pay property taxes calculated at the same rate as single family dwellings. This means that a property with a detached home on it will pay far less in property taxes than the same-sized property with a condominium on it. As a result, condominium owners pay property taxes higher per person than owners of detached homes (due to smaller household size).
- Condominiums provide housing density and save municipalities money for snow clearing, garbage pickup (in Regina and Moose Jaw they don't get city garbage pickup), road maintenance and more. But condo owners pay more, not less, despite the savings they provide to Government.
- The Provincial Government decides what property tax portion is paid by condominium owners.
WHAT YOU CAN DO?
Start emailing, writing, calling the provincial government, party leaders, municipal government
WHAT YOU CAN SAY?
Here are some examples of things you can say to political leaders:
- Demand property tax fairness for condominium owners.
- Ask them if they know that condo residents pay more in property taxes per person than residents of detached homes?
- Ask them if they know that condos save governments money in infrastructure costs but get no discount while paying more through condo fees.
- Make it clear that this is a provincial issue and that we know that the provincial government decides on the property tax portion paid by condominiums under the Revaluation and Tax Policy program.
CCI is entering a new level of lobbying and it is important that all condominium owners get involved!
We may be able to support a presenter at Feb. 27,2018 City Hall Budget meeting. Stay tuned.