Prepare Your Condo For Winter
Winter is just around the corner and it’s time to start preparing your condominium for the upcoming season.
There are a number of steps you can take to protect your investment and keep you and your family warm throughout this upcoming winter season. Here are 10 essential tips for preparing your condo for the winter:
1. Seal any gaps or cracks you may find in your windows or doors. This will prevent drafts and heat loss in your condo, and keep everyone warm.
2. Remove any outdoor furniture, or decorations that may be damaged by snow, ice, or freezing temperatures. This will save you money in having to potentially replace that favourite chair of yours.
3. Protect your pipes! The last thing you need in the winter is a pipe that's either burst or frozen! Using heat tape or foam* is a great way to keep your pipes properly insulated, not to mention it will save you from a costly repair.
4. Check your heating system*. It’s always a good idea to make sure your heating system is in working order and have a professional come by and check for any potential issues. They can make the necessary repairs or replacements if needed to keep your heating system running smoothly.
5. Maintain furnace filters*. A very simple task like replacing or cleaning furnace filters will help keep your heating system running efficiently and effectively.
6. Install a programmable thermostat*. This will allow you to set different temperatures at different times of the day, reducing energy bill costs.
7. Stock up on supplies! Being fully stocked on items such as nonperishable food, blankets, and flashlights can be a great help in case of a power outage or being snowed in. It’s always a good idea to play it safe!
8. Invest in window coverings*. Heavy curtains or insulating shades can be a great help in keeping your condo warmer and preventing drafts. Don’t forget to open them on occasion to prevent condensation build-up.
9. Protect your floors! With all the slush, salt rocks, and sand getting caught in everyone's shoes, you don't want your floors to get scratched or accumulate water damage! Lay out those winter mats and boot trays.
10. Last but certainly not least, reverse any ceiling fans in your condo. They can help keep your condo warm in the winter, reverse the direction of them to run clockwise. This will help push warm air down to the lower levels of your condo.
Preparing your condo for winter in Saskatchewan may require a bit of effort but it is definitely worth it. These 10 tips will help you get your home ready for the frigid winter season ahead. By taking the time to implement these, you will save money on heating costs, prevent those costly damages that no one wants, and most importantly, stay warm and cozy throughout the season! Why wait until the first snowfall? Start gearing up for winter now and give yourself peace of mind knowing that you’re ready to tackle whatever this upcoming winter has in store for you!
*Please review your condominium documents or check with your property manager for any restrictions or specific products, or service contractors you are to use.